The Past Continuous Tense. Упражнения с ответами
Прошедшее длительное время употребляется для описания:
- действия, которое происходило в определенное время в прошлом (при этом не указывается, когда действие началось и когда закончилось, акцент делается на том, что действие занимало какое-то время в прошлом). I was reading your book the whole evening . Я читал твою книгу целый вечер.
- действия, которое происходило в прошлом и было прервано другим действием. The Past Continuous употребляется для описания действия, которое занимало какое-то время, а The Past Simple — для описания действия, которое его прервало (краткое действие). He was playing football when his mother called him. Он играл в футбол, когда его позвала мама.
- двух и более действий в прошлом, которые происходили одновременно и занимали какое-то время (действие в прогрессе). She was reading while her sister was playing in the garden. Она читала, в то время как ее сестра играла в саду.
Уже подружились с прошедшим длительным временем? Проверим!
Exercise 1. Составьте предложения в the Past Continuous Tense.
- I/to go home/at 4 o’clock yesterday.
- We/to play basketball/at 6 o’clock last Sunday.
- She/to talk with her friend/for forty minutes yesterday.
- You/to wash the window/in the afternoon yesterday.
- Nick/to ride his bike/all the evening.
- Sheila and Dora/to wait for a bus/for half an hour.
- They/to prepare for the party/all day yesterday.
- I/to learn the poem/for an hour.
- Dick/to paint the walls in his room/from 2 to 6 o’clock last Wednesday.
- Eve and Tony/to skate/all day last Saturday.
Answers: 1. I was going home at 4 o’clock yesterday. 2. We were playing basketball at 6 o’clock last Sunday. 3.She was talking with her friend for forty minutes yesterday. 4.You were washing the window in the afternoon yesterday. 5. Nick was riding his bike all the evening. 6. Sheila and Dora were waiting for a bus for half an hour. 7. They were preparing for the party all day yesterday. 8. I was learning the poem for an hour. 9. Dick was painting the walls in his room from 2 to 6 o’clock last Wednesday. 10. Eve and Tony were skating all day last Saturday.
Exercise 2. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
- Alison … (to have) lunch at two o’clock yesterday.
- Edward and Henry … (to play) the guitar all the evening.
- Ben … (to run) in the park in the morning yesterday.
- I … (to speak) to the manager from three to half past five last Thursday.
- My grandparents … (to drive) to Poltava at this time yesterday.
- Lucy … (to iron) clothes from 4 to 6 o’clock last Saturday.
- You … (to sleep) for three hours in the afternoon.
- Julia … (to listen) to news at this time yesterday.
- My mother … (to dust) the furniture when I came home yesterday.
- We … (to play) on the playground all day last Sunday.
Answers: 1. was having; 2. were playing; 3. was running; 4. was speaking; 5. were driving; 6. was ironing; 7. were sleeping; 8. was listening;
9. was dusting; 10. were playing.
Exercise 3. Выберите правильный вариант ответа.
Указатели времени, которые используются с прошедшим длительным временем: when, while, as.
While используется, когда два действия происходит одновременно:
While he was playing computer games his sister was speaking on the phone. Когда он играл в компьютерные игры, его сестра разговаривала по телефону,
When и as употребляются, если одно действие в предложении было прервано другим действием:
The children were singing when (as) their parents entered the classroom. Дети пели, когда их родители вошли в класс.
- I was brushing my teeth when/while my sister was making tea.
- He was riding a horse when/while the car drove to the stable.
- Sue was walking along the path as/while it started to rain.
- You were washing the dishes as/while I was drying them.
- Kate was speaking to the doctor when/while her mobile telephone rang.
- We were discussing the film as/while Mary was looking through some magazines.
- The waiter was carrying the tray when/while he dropped a glass.
- Sam was crossing the road when/while he saw his friend at the bus stop.
- Lin and Wendy were preparing for the test as/while the postman knocked at the door.
- The child was eating soup when/while his mother was making salad.
Answers: 1. while; 2.when; 3. as; 4. while; 5. when; 6. while; 7. when; 8. when; 9. as; 10. while.
Exercise 4. Дополните предложения when или while.
- The boys were playing football… the ball flew into the window.
- Ronny was painting the fence … the bucket of paint turned over.
- Denny was putting a tent… the girls were gathering wood for fire.
- Rita was sleeping … the alarm-clock rang.
- Nelly was peeling potatoes … her sister was cutting chicken into pieces.
- Nigel was skiing … he fell down and broke his leg.
- They were arguing … Mrs Elliot entered the room.
- … my mother was watching her favourite show on TV, father was making coffee.
- She was typing a letter … she found some mistakes.
- They were driving towards the village … it started to snow.
Answers: 1. when; 2.when; 3. while; 4. when; 5. while; 6.when; 7.when; 8. while; 9. when; 10. when.
Exercise 5. Сделайте предложения отрицательными.
- The teacher was explaining the exercise to the pupils.
- Amanda was travelling around Africa at that time.
- We were having a Music lesson at ten o’clock yesterday.
- I was doing the shopping yesterday.
- Martin was visiting his aunt at this time yesterday.
- The girls were preparing for the concert.
- They were flying to Wales at 6 o’clock yesterday.
- It was raining hard all day last Tuesday.
- Mike and Jess were walking in the park last evening.
- He was choosing the books in the library then.
Answers: 1. The teacher wasn’t explaining the exercise to the pupils. 2. Amanda wasn’t travelling around Africa at that time. 3. We weren’t having a Music lesson at ten o’clock yesterday. 4. I wasn’t doing the shopping yesterday. 5. Martin wasn’t visiting his aunt at this time yesterday. 6.The girls weren’t preparing for the concert. 7. They weren’t flying to Wales at 6 o’clock yesterday. 8. It wasn’t raining hard all day last Tuesday. 9. Mike and Jess weren’t walking in the park last evening. 10. He wasn’t choosing the books in the library then.
Exercise 6. Составьте предложения, используя слова в скобках в the Past Continuous Tense.
Example: He wasn’t reading the newspaper, (magazine) +
He wasn’t reading the newspaper, he was reading a magazine.
We were looking for apples, (bananas) — We were looking for apples, we weren’t looking for bananas.
- Angela wasn’t singing a song, (dance) +
- I was cooking potatoes, (fish) —
- The boys were watching a film, (the news) —
- My mother wasn’t washing the dishes, (iron the clothes) +
- He was building the house, (garage) —
- They were gathering berries, (mushrooms) —
- You weren’t listening to music, (read the book) +
- Ben was repairing his bike, (his car) —
Answers: 1. Angela wasn’t singing a song, she was dancing. 2. I was cooking potatoes, I wasn’t cooking fish. 3. The boys were watching a film, they weren’t watching the news. 4.My mother wasn’t washing the dishes, she was ironing the clothes. 5. He was building the house, he wasn’t building the garage. 6.They were gathering berries, they weren’t gathering mushrooms. 7. You weren’t listening to music, you were reading the book. 8. Ben was repairing his bike, he wasn’t repairing his car.
Exercise 7. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
- You … (not to listen) to the radio, you … (to read) the letter from your niece.
- Clara … (to take) a bath at nine o’clock yesterday evening.
- Monica and her friend … (to have) coffee in the sitting-room.
- Our Granny … (not to plant) tomatoes in the garden.
- Dick … (to carry) his bag towards the hotel room.
- Sally and Frank … (not to decorate) the classroom, they … (to prepare) a wall newspaper.
- The professor … (to give) a lecture but some students … (not to listen) to him.
- The nurse … (not to take) his temperature, she … (to give) him an aspirin.
- The train … (to arrive) at the station at seven o’clock.
- Olga … (not to wait) for us yesterday evening.
Answers: 1. weren’t listening, were reading; 2. was taking; 3. were having; 4. wasn’t planting; 5. was carrying; 6. weren’t decorating, were preparing; 7. was giving, weren’t listening; 8. wasn’t taking, was giving; 9. was arriving; 10. wasn’t waiting.
Exercise 8. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму и прочитайте шутку.
A man and his wife had a small cafe near the station. The cafe often stayed open until after midnight, because people came to eat and drink there while they … (to wait) for trains.
It was midnight one day and all the people left the cafe except one man. That man … (not to eat), and … (not to drink). He … (to sleep). The owner of the cafe and his wife were very tired. The wife looked at the man several times, but he still … (to sleep). When it was three o’clock in the morning the wife came up to her husband and said, «You have woken this man six times now, Robert, but he didn’t leave. Why haven’t you sent him away? It’s very late».
«Oh, no, I don’t want to send him away», answered her husband with a smile. «You see, every time I wake him up, he asks for his bill, and when I bring it to him, he pays it. Then he goes to sleep again».
Answers: The cafe often stayed open until after midnight, because people came to eat and drink there while they were waiting for trains. That man wasn’t eating, and wasn’t drinking. He was sleeping. The wife looked at the man several times, but he still was sleeping.
Exercise 9. Сделайте предложения вопросительными.
- We were having lunch in the canteen.
- She was singing a lovely song.
- You were speaking to your boss.
- George was sitting in the armchair by the fireplace.
- Jane and Margaret were going to the airport.
- The baby was crying.
- It was getting dark.
- We were waiting for my cousin.
- The woman was watching the children on the playground.
- The tourists were taking photos in front of the palace.
Answers: 1. Were we having lunch in the canteen? 2.Was she singing a lovely song? 3. Were you speaking to your boss? 4.Was George sitting in the armchair by the fireplace? 5. Were Jane and Margaret going to the airport? 6.Was the baby crying? 7. Was it getting dark? 8. Were we waiting for my cousin? 9. Was the woman watching the children on the playground? 10.Were the tourists taking photos in front of the palace?
Exercise 10. Составьте предложения, используя the Past Continuous Tense.
- A man/to fish/on the bank of the river.
- They/to make notes/during the lecture?
- She/not to smile/any more.
- Polly/and her cousin/to have tea.
- You/to dig/in the garden?
- Mike/to hang/a picture in the living-room.
- Sue/not to swim/in the swimming-pool.
- They/to wait/for the doctor?
- I/not to look/at the actors.
- She/to speak/in a friendly way.
Answers: 1. A man was fishing on the bank of the river. 2. Were they making notes during the lecture? 3. She wasn’t smiling any more. 4. Polly and her cousin were having tea. 5. Were you digging in the garden? 6. Mike was hanging a picture in the living-room. 7. Sue wasn’t swimming in the swimming-pool. 8. Were they waiting for the doctor? 9. I wasn’t looking at the actors. 10. She was speaking in a friendly way.
Exercise 11. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
- … you … (to wash) the clothes at 4 o’clock yesterday? — No, I …. I … (to tidy) my room at that time.
- … Lucy … (to do) the shopping when you met her? — Yes, she … .
- … they … (to translate) the text in the afternoon? — No, they …. They … (to prepare) for the Maths test.
- … Alison and Rita … (to sit) in a cafe at three o’clock? — Yes, they … . They … (to eat) ice cream.
- … Steve … (to play) computer games all the evening? — No, he …. He … (to do) his homework.
- … Barbara … (to sunbathe) in the morning yesterday? — Yes, she ….
- … the children … (to help) their grandparents yesterday? — Yes, they … . They … (to gather) fruit in the garden.
- … you … (to sleep) at four o’clock yesterday? — Yes, I … .
- … Phil … (to speak) to the receptionist when you came into the hall of the hotel? — No, he …. He … (to have) breakfast in the cafe.
- … you (to pack) your luggage when the taxi arrived? — No, I … .
Answers: 1.Were you washing the clothes at 4 o’clock yesterday? — No, I wasn’t. I was tidying my room at that time. 2. Was Lucy doing the shopping when you met her? — Yes, she was. 3. Were they translating the text in the afternoon? — No, they weren’t. They were preparing for the Maths test. 4. Were Alison and Rita sitting in a cafe at three o’clock? — Yes, they were. They were eating ice cream. 5. Was Steve playing computer games all the evening? — No, he wasn’t. He was doing his homework. 6. Was Barbara sunbathing in the morning yesterday? — Yes, she was. 7. Were the children helping their grandparents yesterday? — Yes, they were. They were gathering fruit in the garden. 8. Were you sleeping at four o’clock yesterday? — Yes, I was. 9. Was Phil speaking to the receptionist when you came into the hall of the hotel? — No, he wasn’t. He was having breakfast in the cafe. 10. Were you packing your luggage when the taxi arrived? — No, I wasn’t.
Exercise 12. Напишите вопросы к предложениям, используя вопросительные слова в скобках.
Состовляя специальные вопросы в прошедшим длительном времени , слова располагают в таком порядке:
вопросительное слово (Wh-word), вспомогательный глагол was/were, подлежащее, сказуемое (с окончанием -іng).
Wh-word + was + l/he/she/it + Ving?
Wh-word + were + you/we/they + Ving?
Where was she going yesterday? Куда она шла вчера?
What were you doing at 5 o’clock yesterday? Что ты делал вчера в 5 часов?
Вопрос к подлежащему образуется с помощью вспомогательного глагола was:
Who was cooking dinner yesterday? Кто готовил обед вчера?
- She was visiting her dentist at two o’clock yesterday. (What to do? When?)
- They were having an English lesson at ten o’clock last Monday. (Who? What lesson?)
- We were driving towards the village yesterday evening. (Where? When?)
- He was painting the roof of the garage last Saturday. (What? When?)
- You were waiting for your brother at the bus stop. (Whom? What to do?)
- My aunt was speaking to the shop- assistant in the supermarket. (Whose? Where?)
- We were walking quickly because of the rain. (How? Why?)
- The dog was barking in the yard.
- They were sunbathing on the beach. (Who? Where?)
- She was painting a picture in her room. (What? What to do?)
Answers: 1. What was she doing at two o’clock yesterday? When was she visiting her dentist? 2. Who was having an English lesson at ten o’clock last Monday? What lesson were they having at ten o’clock last Monday? 3. Where were we driving yesterday evening? When were we driving towards the village? 4.What was he painting last Saturday? When was he painting the roof of the garage? 5. Whom were you waiting for at the bus stop? What were you doing at the bus stop? 6. Whose aunt was speaking to the shop-assistant in the supermarket? Where was my aunt speaking to the shop assistant? 7. How were we walking? Why were we walking quickly? 8. What was the dog doing in the yard? Where was the dog barking? 9. Who was sunbathing on the beach? Where were they sunbathing? 10. What was she painting in her room? What was she doing in her room?
Exercise 13. Составьте вопрос к выделенным словосочетаниям.
- The girls were playing tennis in the tennis court.
- The cat was sleeping on the sofa.
- We were crossing the street at the traffic light.
- He was explaining the task to his brother.
- The woman was walking slowly along the road.
Answers: 1. Who was playing tennis in the tennis court? What were the girls playing in the tennis court? Where were the girls playing tennis? 2. What was the cat doing on the sofa? Where was the cat sleeping? 3. Who was crossing the street at the traffic light? What were we crossing at the traffic light? 4.What was he explaining to his brother? Whom was he explaining the task to? 5. How was the woman walking along the road? Where was the woman walking slowly?
Exercise 14. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
- Where … you … (to go) yesterday evening? — I … (to go) to the railway station to meet my uncle.
- Where … your sister … (to shop) yesterday morning? — Well, she … (to shop) in a new shopping centre all day yesterday.
- How long … they … (to prepare) for the test last Sunday? — They … (to prepare) for the test from 2 to 6 o’clock.
- What book … he … (to read) at five o’clock yesterday? — He … (not to read). He … (to translate) a short story for his French lesson.
- What … Dick … (to do) yesterday evening? — He … (to play) a new computer game all the evening.
- Why … Chris and Sam … (to laugh) so loudly? — Because they … (to watch) a comedy film.
- Who … (to sing) that nice song when we came into the hall? — My friend … (to sing).
- Why … you … (to bake) a cake yesterday morning? — Because I… (to wait) for the guests.
- Whom … she … (to speak) to when I met her? — She … (to speak) to her coach.
- Whose car … Bill … (to drive) yesterday? — He … (to drive) his cousin’s car.
Answers: 1. Where were you going yesterday evening? — I was going to the railway station to meet my uncle. 2. Where was your sister shopping yesterday morning? — Well, she was shopping in a new shopping centre all day yesterday. 3. How long were they preparing for the test last Sunday? — They were preparing for the test from 2 to 6 o’clock. 4. What book was he reading at five o’clock yesterday? — He wasn’t reading. He was translating a short story for his French lesson. 5. What was Dick doing yesterday evening? — He was playing a new computer game all the evening. 6. Why were Chris and Sam laughing so loudly? — Because they were watching a comedy film. 7. Who was singing that nice song when we came into the hall? — My friend was singing. 8. Why were you baking a cake yesterday morning? — Because I was waiting for the guests. 9. Whom was she speaking to when I met her? — She was speaking to her coach. 10.Whose car was Bill driving yesterday? — He was driving his cousin’s car.
Exercise 15. Переведите на английский язык.
- Что вы делала вчера в пять часов? — Мы готовили ужин и ждали гостей.
- Куда она шла вчера утром? — Она шла к стоматологу.
- Какой фильм твой брат смотрел вчера в кинотеатре? — Он смотрел новый фильм ужасов.
- Где она ждала меня? — Она ждала нас возле театра.
- Какую статью вы читали вчера? — Я читал статью о новейших научных открытиях.
- Почему он вел машину так быстро? — Он спешил на вокзал.
- Когда Том плавал в бассейне вчера? — Он плавал с четырех до пяти часов.
- Что твой брат делал вчера утром? — Он ремонтировал велосипед вчера утром.
- С кем Анна разговаривала вчера в 2 часа? — Она разговаривала с секретарем.
- Что дети делали вчера после уроков? — Они готовились к спортивным соревнованиям.
Answers: 1. What were you doing at five o’clock yesterday? — We were cooking supper and waiting for guests. 2. Where was she going yesterday morning? — She was going to the dentist. 3. What film was your brother watching in the cinema yesterday? — He was watching a new horror film. 4. Where was she waiting for me? — She was waiting for you near the theatre. 5.What article were you reading yesterday? — I was reading an article about the latest scientific discoveries. 6. Why was he driving so fast? — He was hurrying to the railway station. 7. When was Tom swimming in the swimming- pool yesterday? — He was swimming from four to five. 8. What was your brother doing yesterday morning? — He was repairing a bike yesterday morning. 9. Who was Anna speaking to at two o’clock yesterday? — She was speaking to a secretary. 10.What were the children doing after the lessons yesterday? — They were preparing for the sport competitions.
Павличенко О.М. Английский язык. Грамматический практикум. II уровень. — 2-е изд., испр. и доп. — X.: Ранок, 2012. — 304 с.