Упражнения «Придаточные предложения с who, which, that и т.д.» (с ответами)
1. Выпишите те предложения, в которых относительные местоимения могут быть пропущены, но смысл останется прежним.
Н-р: Do you like the present which we gave you? (Тебе нравится подарок, который мы тебе подарили?) – Do you like the present . we gave you?
- She met a woman who works on TV. (Она встретила женщину, которая работает на ТВ.)
- The thing that I like about Nick is his punctuality. (Что мне нравится в Нике – это его пунктуальность.)
- It was the funniest book that I have ever read. (Это была самая смешная книга, которую я когда-либо читала.)
- What is the name of the perfume which you are wearing today? (Как называются духи, которыми вы пользуетесь сегодня?)
- The hotel where they stayed was terrible. (Отель, в котором они остановились, был ужасным.)
- I don’t really know why she is crying. (Я действительно не знаю, почему она плачет.)
- Amanda is my best friend who I can always rely on. (Аманда – моя лучшая подруга, на которую я всегда могу положиться.)
- My boss Ted, who is Spanish, plays the guitar. (Мой босс Тед, будучи испанцем, играет на гитаре.)
- Who was that boy who you were talking to? (Кто был тот парень, с которым ты разговаривал?)
- The company which I work for is based in Italy. (Компания, на которую я работаю, основана в Италии.)
2. Поставьте подходящее относительное местоимение who, which, that, when, why, where или whose.
- His sister, … name is Lara, works at the library.
- Her last film, … I couldn’t understand at all, was a great success.
- Give him something … will take away the pain.
- I work in the town … my son lives.
- We’ll show you the poem … changed my life.
- Doctors, … claim money, are shameless.
- Is there a shop near here … sells milk?
- That’s the main reason … I came to you.
- I’ll never forget my childhood … I was so happy.
- People … live in flats shouldn’t have animals.
- The car … he bought last month is fantastic.
- This is the most beautiful waterfall … we have ever seen!
3. Соедините предложения, используя придаточные предложения.
Н-р: My dad works in a factory. It makes parts for computers. (Мой отец работает на фабрике. Она производит детали для компьютеров.) – The factory … makes parts for computers. – The factory where my dad works makes parts for computers. (Фабрика, на которой работает мой отец, производит детали для компьютеров.)
- There is a bakery near my house. It sells wonderful pies. – The bakery … sells wonderful pies.
- They lived in a cottage. It was struck by lightning. – The cottage … was struck by lightning.
- Jane made a seafood salad. Nobody likes it. – Nobody likes the salad … .
- Jack is an architect. He designed the Opera House. – Jack is the architect … .
- The woman didn’t apologize. Her cat bit me. – The woman … didn’t apologize.
- Madonna is a famous American singer. Her parents were born in Italy. – Madonna … is a famous American singer.
- The apartment is the biggest in the house. The lawyer lives there. – The apartment … is the biggest in the house.
- We play tennis in a sports centre. It is very expensive. – The sports centre … is very expensive.
2. The thing … I like about Nick is his punctuality.
3. It was the funniest book … I have ever read.
4. What is the name of the perfume … you are wearing today?
7. Amanda is my best friend … I can always rely on.
9. Who was that boy … you were talking to?
10. The company … I work for is based in Italy.
- whose (Его сестра, чье имя Лара, работает в библиотеке.)
- which/that (Ее последний фильм, который я совсем не понял, имел большой успех.)
- that (Дай мне что-нибудь для снятия боли.)
- where (Я работаю в том городе, где живет мой сын.)
- which/that (Мы покажем вам стихотворение, изменившее мою жизнь.)
- who (Врачи, требующие денег, бессовестны.)
- that/which (Здесь есть поблизости магазин, продающий молоко?)
- why (Это основная причина, почему я пришел к вам.)
- when (Я никогда не забуду свое детство, когда я был так счастлив.)
- who (Люди, проживающие в квартирах, не должны иметь животных.)
- which/that (Машина, которую он купил в прошлом месяце, фантастическая.)
- that (Это самый красивый водопад, который мы когда-либо видели!)
- The bakery which is near my house sells wonderful pies. (Булочная, расположенная у моего дома, продает прекрасные пирожки.)
- The cottage where they lived was struck by lightning. (Коттедж, в котором они жили, был поражен молнией.)
- Nobody likes the salad which Jane made . (Никому не нравится салат, который приготовила Джейн.)
- Jack is the architect who designed the Opera House. (Джек – архитектор, спроектировавший Оперный театр.)
- The woman whose cat bit me didn’t apologize. (Женщина, чья кошка укусила меня, не извинилась.)
- Madonna, whose parents were born in Italy , is a famous American singer. (Мадонна, чьи родители родились в Италии, является знаменитой американской певицей.)
- The apartment where the lawyer lives is the biggest in the house. (Квартира, в которой живет адвокат, самая большая в доме.)
- The sports centre where we play tennis is very expensive. (Спортивный центр, в котором мы играем в теннис, очень дорогой.)
Relative Pronouns (упражнения на относительные местоимения, intermediate)
Здравствуйте! Если relative pronouns (относительные местоимения) понадобились вам, значит вы уже на уровне intermediate изучения английского языка. Ведь эти местоимения используются при написании письменных работ намного чаще, чем в разговорной речи. С помощью них мы делаем предложения более длинными, соединяя из простых в сложные. В этом уроке вас ждут упражнения на относительные местоимения.
- I am going to visit Steve. I told you about him yesterday. (разг. речь)
- I am going to visit Steve who I told you about yesterday. (письм. речь)
Относительные местоимения. Упражнения (intermediate)
Упражнение 1. Заполните пропуски, используя who, which, where, whose.
- I don’t agree with people… say that all modern music is rubbish.
- That’s the music … I like best of all.
- The shop … I bought this CD is next to the post office.
- The man … party I went to is a composer.
- I’ve broken the vase … you presented me.
- That’s the only rock group … music I like.
- Musicians … are really successful work hard.
Упражнение 2. Заполните пропуски местоимениями that, which, who, whom, whose, where. Поставьте в скобки те из них, которые можно опустить. Переведите предложения.
A. Придаточные определительные в роли дополнения
1.I like the song … Jane sang yesterday. 2. This is the boy …. bicycle Tom borrowed. 3. It was the best film … I’ve ever seen. 4. Here is the man …. has lost his dog. 5. He showed me his new car, … is very modern and expensive. 6. This is the dictionary… I bought yesterday. 7. She is the girl .. I saw yesterday. 8. Let us meet in the park … we got acquainted.
B. Придаточные определительные в роли подлежащего
1.The job … I applied for is in Manchester. 2. The hotel … I stayed during the summer was excellent. 3. The photo … I liked was taken in England. 4. The man … I met was Andrew Manson. 5. The boy … dog was lost was very unhappy. 6. The people … I got acquainted were all very pleasant. 7. The picture … hangs on the wall was painted by my sister. 8. The money … was in my pocket has been stolen.
Упражнение 3. Вставьте относительные местоимения, где нужно.
- My uncle works for a company… makes cars.
- The book is about the man … made wonderful things.
- It seems … the Earth is the only planet… life exists.
- Have you found the notebook …. you lost?
- What was the name of the man… wife had been taken to the hospital?
- Is there a shop near here … I can buy bread?
- The reason… I am phoning you is to invite you to the party.
- She game me the money, … I put in my pocket.
Упражнение 4. Соедините предложения, используя относительные местоимения.
1.Не is the man. He lives next door. 2. This is the picture. You presented to me last month. 3. These are the gloves. I found them on the train. 4. I met two actors. We watched them on TV show last night. 5. This is the house. My father built it many years ago. 6. The person got a reward. He took the lost wallet to the police station. 7. Where is the letter? I put it in the table.8. This is the picture. I took it on holidays.
Упражнение 5. Соедините предложения, используя относительные местоимения.
1.This is the house. I was born here. 2. That is the woman. She gave you the book. 3. That is the book. The woman gave it to you. 4. Where is the shop? You bought the book there. 5. Is that the man? He owns the shop. 6. Is that the woman? She married the man. He owns the shop. I bought the book there.
Упражнение 6. В данном тексте содержится 11 ошибок. Найдите и исправьте их.
The town which I was born has changed greatly over the last fifty years. Now there is a modern shopping center on the place that my school used to be and all the children whose went there have grown up and moved away. The local cinema, that was built several years ago, used to be a dance hall which big bands played. The park, where was my favourite place as a child, is now a car park. Some things are still the same though. Mrs Jones, whom is now seventy years old, still lives in the High Street and Mr Jones still owns the baker’s shop, that two sons now work instead of him. The hospital where I was born in is still standing, although it is now much bigger than it was at the time which I was born. On the day which my family and I left our town we were all very sad.
Упражнение 7. Дайте определения данным словам, используя определительные придаточные предложения. Используйте слова: mechanism, piece of furniture, machine, water reservoir, thing, person, place.
ОБРАЗЕЦ An island is a piece of land which is surrounded by water.
1.a teacher (to teach students); 2. a watch (to show the time); 3. a park (to go for walks); 4. a swimming pool (to swim); 5. a bank (to keep your money); 6. baker’s (to buy bread); 7. a dictionary (find the translation of the words); 8. a mixer (to mix things with) 9. an armchair (to relax in it); 10. a fork (to eat with).
Упражнение 8. Перепишите предложения, опустив относительные местоимения и поставив предлоги в нужное место.
1.This is the train by which I came. 2. Do you know the boy to whom I was talking? 3. The people with whom I live are very pleasant. 4. This is the box out of which he took the money. 5. I don’t know the man to whom you wrote a letter. 6. The man from whom I got the information is a lawyer.
Упражнение 9. Соедините предложения, поставив предлоги в нужное место.
- She is the girl. I gave flowers to her.
- That is the park. I passed by it.
- That is the dress. I have paid for it.
- This is the music. We listened to it yesterday.
- That is the man. I spoke to him the other day.
- I am looking for a man. One can rely on him.
- She is the girl. I told you about her.
Упражнение 10. Подумайте, как можно закончить данные предложения.
- There is a boy who … .
- Do you know the man who …?
- We went shopping to the market which ….
- We went shopping to the market where ….
- The hotel where ….
- I bought a book which ….
- That is the house which …..
- That is the house where ….
Упражнение 11. Переведите на английский.
- Человек, который звонил вам, не назвал своего имени.
- Вы видели фотографии, которые я принес?
- Вы задаете вопросы, на которые трудно ответить.
- Обед, который ты приготовила, очень вкусный.
- Это книги, о которых я тебе говорил.
- Ты знаешь человека, с которым разговаривает Анна?
- Тебе нравится отель, в котором вы остановились?
- Где цветы, которые я тебе подарил?
Relative clauses (exercises) (Придаточные определительные предложения. Упражнения)
1 Underline any relative pronouns that can be left out in these sentences.
1 I think that my boss is the person who I admire most.
2 Harry, who was tired, went to bed very early.
3 Were taking the train that leaves at 6.00.
4 Have you seen the book that I left here on the desk?
5 The film which we liked most was the French one.
6 My radio, which isn’t very old, has suddenly stopped working.
7 The clothes which you left behind are at the reception desk.
8 The couple who met me at the station took me out to dinner.
9 Last week I ran into an old friend who I hadn’t seen for ages.
10 Don’t cook the meat that I put in the freezer — it’s for the dog.
2 Replace the relative pronouns in italics with that , where possible.
1 This is the magazine which I told you about.
. This is the magazine that I tild you about .
2 John’s flat, which is in the same block as mine, is much larger.
3 The girl whose bag I offered to carry turned out to be an old friend.
4 The policeman who arrested her had recognized her car.
5 I work with someone who knows you.
6 We don’t sell goods which have been damaged.
7 Brighton, which is on the south coast, is a popular holiday resort.
8 I don’t know anyone whose clothes would fit you.
9 There’s a cafe near here which serves very good meals.
10 People who park outside get given parking tickets.
3 Underline the most suitable word in each sentence.
1 My friend Jack, that / who / whose parents live in Glasgow, invited me to spend Christmas in Scotland.
2 Here’s the computer program that / whom / whose I told you about.
3 I don’t believe the story that / who / whom she told us.
4 Peter comes from Witney, that / who / which is near Oxford.
5 This is the gun with that / whom / which the murder was committed.
6 Have you received the parcel whom / whose / which we sent you?
7 Is this the person who / which / whose you asked me about?
8 That’s the girl that / who / whose brother sits next to me at school.
9 The meal, that / which / whose wasn’t very tasty, was quite expensive.
10 We didn’t enjoy the play that / who / whose we went to see.
4 Put one suitable word in each space, or leave the space blank where possible.
MURDER AT THE STATION by Lorraine Small Episode 5: Trouble on the 6.15 The story so far:
Jane Platt, (1) ….who. is travelling to London because of a mysterious letter, is the only person (2). witnesses a murder at Victoria Station. The detective to (3). she gives her statement then disappears. Jane goes to an office in Soho to answer the letter (4). she had received. There she discovers that her uncle Gordon, (5). lives in South America, has sent her a small box (6). she is only to open if in trouble. Jane,(7). parents have never mentioned an Uncle Gordon, is suspicious of the box, (8). she gives to her friend Tony. They go to Scotland Yard and see Inspector Groves, (9). has not heard of the Victoria Station murder, (10). was not reported to the police. Jane gives Inspector Groves the murdered man’s ticket, (11). she found beside his body. Then Jane and Tony decide to go to Redhill, (12). was. The town (13). the murdered man had come from. On the train they meet a man, (14). face is somehow familiar to Jane, (15). says he knows her Uncle Gordon …
5 Put a suitable relative pronoun in each space, or leave the space blank where possible.
1 My bike, . wich. I had left at the gate, had disappeared.
2 The shoes. I bought were the ones. I tried on first.
3 The bag in. the robbers put the money was found later.
4 The medicine. the doctor gave me had no effect at all.
5 Peter. couldn’t see the screen, decided to change his seat.
6 I really liked that tea. you made me this morning.
7 What was the name of your friend. tent we borrowed?
8 The flight. Joe was leaving on was cancelled.
6 Make one sentence from each group of sentences, beginning as shown.
1 The hotel was full of guests. The hotel was miles from anywhere. The guests had gone there to admire the scenery.
The hotel, which. ..was miles from anywhere was full of guests who had gone there to admire the scenery.
2 I lent you a book. It was written by a friend of mine. She lives in France.
3 A woman’s handbag was stolen. A police officer was staying in the same hotel. The woman was interviewed by him.
4 A goal was scored by a teenager. He had come on as substitute. This goal won the match.
5 I was sitting next to a boy in the exam. He told me the answers.
6 My wallet contained over £100. It was found in the street by a schoolboy. He returned it.
7 My friend Albert has decided to buy a motorbike. His car was stolen last week. My friend Albert.
8 Carol is a vegetarian. I cooked a meal for her last week. She enjoyed it. Carol.
7 Make one new sentence from each pair of sentences. Begin as shown, and use the word given in capitals.
Brenda is a friend. I went on holiday with her.
Brenda is . the friend who I went on holiday.
This is Mr Smith. His son Bill plays in our team.
Her book was published last year. It became a best seller.
This is the bank. We borrowed the money from it.
This is the bank from.
I told you about a person. She is at the door.
Jack’s car had broken down. He had to take a bus.
8 Make one sentence from each group of sentences, beginning as shown.
1 I got on a train. I wanted to go to a station. The train didn’t stop there.
The train I.. got on didn’t stop at the station I wanted to go to .
2 I read a book. You recommended a book to me. This was the book.
3 The ship hit an iceberg and sank. Warning messages had been sent to it. The ship ignored these.
4 The postman realized I was on holiday. You had sent me a parcel. The postman left it next door.
5 I used to own a dog. People came to the door. The dog never barked at them. The dog I.
6 I bought my bike from a woman. She lives in a house. You can see the house over there.
7 We went to a beach on the first day of our holiday. It was covered in seaweed. This smelled a lot.
8 My neighbours have three small children. The children make a lot of noise.
My neighbours never apologize.
9 I bought a new computer. It cost me a lot of money.
9 These sentences are all grammatically possible, but not appropriate in speech. Rewrite each sentence so that it ends with the preposition in italics.
1 Margaret is the girl with whom I went on holiday.
. Margaret is the girl I went on holiday .
2 The golf club is the only club of which I am a member.
3 That’s the girl about whom we were talking.
4 It was a wonderful present, for which I was extremely grateful.
5 This is the school to which I used to go.
6 Is this the case in which we should put the wine glasses?
7 Can you move the chair on which you are sitting?
8 That’s the shop from which I got my shoes.
9 Is that the person next to whom you usually sit?
10 This is Bill, about whom you have heard so much.
1 1 who. 2 none. 3 none. 4 that. 5 which. 6 none. 7 which. 8 none. 9 who. 10 that.
2 1 that I told you about. 2 not possible. 3 not possible. 4 that arrested her. 5 that knows you. 6 that have been damaged. 7 not possible. 8 not possible. 9 that serves very good meals. 10 that park outside.
3 1 whose. 2 that. 3 that. 4 which. 5 which. 6 which.7 who. 8 whose. 9 which.10 that.
4 1 who. 2 who. 3 whom. 4 blank. 5 who. 6 which. 7 whose. 8 which. 9 who. 10 which. 11 which. 12 which. 13 blank. 14 whose. 15 who.
5 1 which. 2 blank, blank. 3 which. 4 blank. 5 who. 6 blank. 7 whose. 8 blank.
6 1 The hotel, which was miles from anywhere,was full of guests who had gone there to admire the scenery.
2 The book I lent you was written by a friend of mine who lives in France. 3 The woman whose handbag was stolen was interviewed by a police officer who was staying in the same hotel. 4 The goal which won the match was scored by a teenager who had come on as a substitute. 5 The boy I was sitting next to in the exam told me the answers. 6 My wallet, which contained over $100, was found in the street by a schoolboy who returned it/ was returned by a schoolboy who found in it the street. 7 My friend Albert, whose car was stolen last week, has decided to buy a motorbike. 8 Carol, who is a vegetarian, enjoyed the meal I cooked for her last week.
7 1 Brenda is the friend who I went on holiday with. 2 This is Mr Smith, whose son Bill plays in our team. 3 Her book, which was published last year, became a best seller. 4 This is the bank from which we borrowed the money. 5 The person who I told you about is at the door. 6 Jack, whose car had broken down, had to take a bus.
8 1 The train I got on didn’t stop at the station I wanted to go to. 2 The book I read was the book/ one you recommended to me. 3 The ship, which had ignored the warning messages sent to it,hit an iceberg and sank. 4 The postman, who realized I was on holiday, left the parcel you had sent me next door. 5 The dog I used to own never barked at people who came to the door. 6 The woman I bought my bike from lives in the house you can see over there.7 The beach we went to on the first day of our holiday was covered in seaweed which smelled a lot. 8 My neighbours, whose three small children make a lot of noise, never apologize. 9 The new computer I bought cost me a lot of money.
9 1 Margaret is the girl I went on holiday with. 2 The golf club is the only club I am a member of. 3 That’s the girl we were talking about. 4 It was a wonderful present, which I was extremely grateful for. 5 This is the school I used to go to. 6 Is this the case we should put the wine glasses in? 7 Can you move the chair you are sitting on? 8 That’s the shop I got my shoes from. 9 Is that the person you usually sit next to? 10 This is Bill, who you’ve heard so much about.